hello!

Sunday, September 5, 2010

My Monkey Baby

I call her my monkey baby.  Because well, she is.


Whether it was as a laughing baby, a little blonde hooligan or a dramatic teenaged girl, I've always been a part of a pack of dogs.  Really.  (Hahaha I just realized that I sound very Alan-esque with my 'wolf pack.'  At least I don't have his beard.  Or his beer belly.  Yet.)  After living 20 years surrounded by a family of rottweilers, I knew that my first place wouldn't be home if there were no bits of fur floating around or clunking paws following me from room to room.  Needless to say, I've become a mama to some pretty great doggy children.

And by great, I mean.. HILARIOUS.

Seriously, if you have never had the pleasure of a dog in your life, you are missing out on more than snuggly cuddle seshes and dancing around, howling.  You are missing the best laughter you will ever have.

Now, as I mentioned, Soda is my monkey baby.  She even wears a little graphic hoodie of a cartoon monkey aptly labeled "Monkey" in big red letters just to prove it.  You need more proof, you say?

...I was so excited to see him.  A whole evening together, just the two of us.  We promised not to talk about work or our chaotic schedules or all the negativity in the world.  Instead we kissed.  Then we lied down and kissed some more.  But then a familiar little paw and a sharp set of nails swatted at my arm.  I tried to ignore it, but the swatting for attention persisted.  Mid-kiss, I opened my eyes to my little dog towering right over our faces.  She intently leaned in, her big round eyes gazed into ours.  Travis laughed, "She's taking lessons."  He pointed to the floor, "Soda, off."  She jumped.  "Now, where were we?"

Smack.  Slurp.  Lick.  Smack.  Pucker.  Drool. 

No, it wasn't us.  We looked over the side of the bed, Soda now stood over Slurpee, her little face inside his big mouth, licking.  140lb Slurpee tried to pull his head away but 20lb Soda wouldn't take no for an answer.  She very seriously pinned his head down with her small paws and continued to slip him the tongue.  He grunted and growled, in a plea to be released from her grasp.. but the make out terror went on for several more minutes.

Yes, we watched.  And we laughed until tears rolled down our faces and our tummies ached.  What a monkey, I tell ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment