hello!

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Photography and Me

My first blog post.. How exciting! Since one of the main motivators for me to start up my own blog was my photography, I figure I'll do a little schpiel on my relationship with photography and it's relationship with me. My dad and aunt both used to be film photographers back in the day - looong before I ever landed on this planet, so maybe it was inherent that photography would find me some day. I've always been an artsy kid; sketching, painting and designing as I grew. So when I discovered we had an old version of Photoshop on our family computer back in my high school days, I embraced an instant love for photo editing.. Or really, photo creating. For the past few years, I've been playing with photos on the computer just for fun and by trial and error. However, it was just last year when the art of photography, the art of actually capturing the magic of the moment, smacked me in the face. My now-husband and I were engaged and looking for a wedding photographer. Being the O.C.D. and always organized woman that I am, I researched a million local photographers and rated them on a spreadsheet by not just their package and rates, but by the magic in their photographs. From viewing so many photos, pieces of art really, from so many different types of people - I was incredibly inspired. I realized that this part of me has been lying dormant for so long but it's always been there. I suddenly recalled so many moments since I was a little girl, when I would think to myself that this moment, right here, could be art. So why not go for it? I told my parents I was interested in photography and could tell that my dad was overjoyed to have something that was always his and that he understood so well, be loved by his daughter too. My parents being the amazing parents that they are (I'm really not such a suck up, I just love my mom and dad a hella lot), bought me my first SLR camera this past summer of 2009. So in these past few months, I've been playing; slowly discovering who I am as a photographer and learning to push the limits on my artistic expression. There is still so much I want to do and so much I need to learn..

No comments:

Post a Comment