hello!

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Milly: Judy

My tummy is gurgling.. more like rumbling and growling and attacking my body.  I need food.  I look up at the green glowing digits on the stove.  6:52.  Lame, Travis is late coming home from work again.  Wife = sad.  And hungry.  I whip open my beat up cell phone and speed dial (yes, I'm needy) and get his voicemail.  Crap, mailbox is full.. Argghhh.

20 minutes later, Soda is at the front door yodeling like a mad.. yodeler?  Slurpee strains himself to get up off the couch to see what all the commotion is about.  Daddy's truck has pulled into the driveway.. yay!

After devouring some delicious vegetarian lasagna like we're two Garfields, I remember to tell Travis his mailbox is full.  Ritualistically, he grabs a pad of paper and a pen, pulls out his phone and starts jotting down a work message + a work message + a work message + a buddy beer invite message + a work message + ...he stops writing and just smiles and listens.

I just called to say I love you.
I just called to say how much I care.
I just called to say I love you.
And I mean it from the bottom of my heart.

Sung with his momma's beautiful voice, it's Stevie Wonder.

Once he hangs up, Travis tells me how his mom every so often, leaves that same message singing that famous chorus to him.  He goes on to say, "Y'know, whenever I'm checking my voicemail at work or around the guys and this message from her begins to play, I kind of glance around to make sure nobody can hear cos I know it should be kind of embarrasing that my mom calls to sing to me but.. I really love it.  It always makes my day."

This conversation with Trav was so timely in that I happened to be posting some images of a recent shoot I did with his mom (and him in a few).  I asked if it would be okay if I mentioned this little story on my blog and being the sweetest hubby that he is, he nodded.  Take a look at one sweet momma, my MIL or Milly..

PS.  Milly is a wonderful, wonderful singer.

2 comments: